As a Coach I will :-
1) respect all who participate in the sport including:-
* respecting the rights and dignity of everyone involved in athletics.
* treating everyone equally as everyone has value and is worthy of respect.
* never decimating on any grounds e.g. gender, race, athletic potential, sexual orientation, religion, socio economic status, age , disability.
* avoiding critical language or actions, which could undermine an athlete’s self esteem.
2) exhibit integrity in relationships including:-
* cooperate fully with others involved in the sport in the best interests of the athlete.
* encouraging athletes to accept responsibility for their own performance and behaviour.
* developing appropriate working relationships with athletes based on mutual trust and respect.
* have a high degree of self-awareness and that my behaviour affects the behaviour of other.
* ensure athletes, parents, guardians know what is expected and what they expect from me.
* strictly maintain a clear boundary between friendship and intimacy.
* follow safeguarding guidelines and raise any concerns to the safeguarding officer.
* report any accidental injury, distress, misunderstanding or misinterpretation to the parents/guardians and Club Welfare officer as soon as possible.
* report any misconduct by others to the Club welfare officer as soon as possible.
3) maintain high personal standards such as:-
* being fair, honest and considerate.
* never swearing, using abusive language or irresponsible/illegal behaviour.
* never being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances.
* never carrying items that could be dangerous to myself or others.
* being a positive role model for athletes, the club and the sport.
* never exerting influence to obtain personal benefit or reward.
* never recruit, overtly or covertly, athletes who are already receiving coaching.
4) demonstrate high professional standards such as:-
* being appropriately qualified, prepared and maintain up to date knowledge.
* ensuring I carry valid and appropriate insurance either personally or through the club.
* ensuring all environments are safe for the activities to be undertaken.
* ensuring activities I direct are appropriate for the maturity, experience and ability of the athletes.
* placing the welfare and safety of the athletes above the development of performance.
* observing the recommended maximum ratio of 1 coach to 12 athletes at a training session.
* challenging inappropriate behaviour and language by others.
* avoiding spending time alone with young athletes, including in a car or at my house.
* ensuring any physical contact is appropriate and always seeking consent beforehand.
* respecting the right of young athletes to an independent life outside of athletics.
5) ensure fair play by:-
* recognising good performance by others.
* acting with dignity and display courtesy and good manners towards others.
* promoting positive aspects of the sport such as fair play.
* never condoning rule violations or the use of prohibited or age-inappropriate substances.