Cross country running is a sport in which people run a race on open-air courses over natural terrain. The course, typically 4-12 kilometres (2.5-7.5 mi) long, may include surfaces of grass and earth, pass through woodlands and open country, and include hills, flat ground and sometimes gravel road. It is both an individual and a team sport, as runners are judged on an individual basis and a points scoring method for teams.
Both men, women, juniors and primary of all ages compete in cross country, which usually takes place during autumn and winter, and can include weather conditions of rain, sleet, snow or hail, and a wide range of temperatures. As a consequence, routes are usually wet and muddy, so recommended footware includes spike running shoes (with XC spikes), fell running shoes (like Salomon, Walsh or Inov-8s) or trail shoes. Road trainers are not usually suitable.
The race series that Chorley runners generally enter are Mid Lancs, Red Rose and South East Lancs Leagues. All these leagues have races for different age groups and sexes. In addition, there are a number of annual championship races that can be entered.
• Red Rose XC League
• Mid Lancs XC League
• XC Entry Form 2019
• XC Fixtures 2019-20
Here is some important information for those (young and old) attending cross country events...
• Club vests must be work, with a race number fixed to the front of it.
• Events are rarely cancelled due to bad weather, so be prepared to run in all weathers and temperatures.
• Arrive at least an hour before in wellies to be able to walk the course and ger warmed up. Please cherck the start time of your race, as these can vary by league.
• Generally courses are wet and muddy, so Spikes or fell shoes should be worn. Please double knot laces and use tape of shoes susceptible to coming off in mud.
• Bring warm dry clothes, towel, food, drink, bin bags for the return journey etc.
• Keep smilling, no matter how bad it gets :)
Lancashire XC 4th January 2020 Entry Form Online Entry
28/09/2019 Ulverston Mid Lancs League
12/10/2019 Leigh Red Rose League
19/10/2019 Heaton Park South East Lancs League
26/10/2019 Bolton Red Rose League
09/11/2019 Hynburn Mid Lancs League
Todmorden Red Rose League
23/11/2019 Liverpool Mid Lancs League
Heaton Park South East Lancs League
30/11/2019 Rossendale Red Rose League
04/01/2020 Blackburn Lancs Championships
11/01/2020 Burnley Mid Lancs League
18/01/2020 Tandle Hill - Oldham South East Lancs League
25/01/2020 TBC Northern Cross Country Championships
08/02/2020 Blackpool Mid Lancs League
15/02/2020 Chorley South East Lancs League
22/02/2020 Wollaton Park - Nottingham National Cross Country Championships
29/02/2020 Lancaster Mid Lancs League
Note: Mid Lancs Races 1-6 brought forward by 30mins & race 7 by 15mins. The overall start time is now 12:00.